The Profit and Loss report
The Profit and Loss report shows the performance of your business over a specified period of time. It shows the value for sales, direct expenses including cost of sales, and overheads in the given period. It also shows the resulting gross and net profit or loss. When running the report, you can drill down on the values to see what transactions are included.
To run the report
- Go to Reports, then click Profit and Loss.
- On the Period list, click the period you want to report on.
If you choose This year or Last year, the values that appear are for the calendar year. If you’ve entered your financial year end date in Fiscal Year, you can also produce the report for the current or previous financial year.
- Click Calculate to run the report.
To view how the values are calculated for a particular ledger account, click the relevant line. This takes you to the Nominal Activity Report and shows the transactions for this account in the specified period. If you want to view details of a transaction, click the individual entry. To return to the Profit and Loss report, click back on your browser menu bar.
- To save or print the report, on the Export menu, click one of the following options:
- CSV – Depending on your Internet browser, the file automatically downloads to your Downloads folder or you’re prompted to save the file. If prompted to save the file, browse to where you want to save it, then click Save.
- PDF – The PDF opens in a new window or tab and you can then print or save it from your browser menu.